Monday, March 5, 2012

POWER IS IN ENOUGH

Monday, October 11, 2010
Power Is In Enough
The word 'enough' describes all we need of anything. We do not need more, we should not have less. The amount that is 'enough' is the amount that is perfect.
My wonderful dinner at the Outback a few nights ago was perfect. I allowed myself to know when to stop. I had enough and was not uncomfortably stuffed afterward. In fact, I felt quite grand. I brought home enough ribeye, garlic mashed potatoes and spinach artichoke dip for another full meal, plus enough meat to make a sandwich for lunch.
Once, I did not know what was enough. My years on the farm in Iowa, working with Dad, lots of fresh air and hard labor encouraged a very hearty appetite. the cafeteria at Drake had four lines. One on each side of the building. My roomie and I often hit up two or more lines for any given meal. Not that any of us were overweight, but looking back, I see a tendency toward gluttony developing. We did not know what enough was all about, and so we wanted more.
Over the years, restaurants began the insidious practice of 'supersizing' everything.
The more we are served, the more we eat. In Europe, I am told, portions are quite small, particularly in France. French restaurants here in the U.S., at least in my experience, also serve small portions. I do not believe I would starve to death if I ate portions of that diminuitive size.
There is a lot more to the concept of 'enough' than merely how it relates to food.
Knowing when to stop anything is to exert power over it.
Excess can often lead to destructive behaviors. Hoarding is an example, and can lead to serious consequences. Obsessions, overspending and debt are symptoms of the inability to discern 'enough.'
The lessons taught in school were not enough when it comes to personal finance and making a life for oneself out in the real world after graduation. Being released into society without any knowledge of personal finance is a bit like releasing a goldfish into the ocean. First of all, goldfish don't get on well in salt water. Secondly, they are not equipped to deal with the inumerable predators they will encounter, Thirdly, they do not know how to obtain food without that little shaker sprinkling into their home each day. Instead of finding Nemo, we all have to founder about, trying to find ourselves, our livelihood, and our path in life.
Enough does not imply poverty, abstinence or lack. Instead, it describes the boundaries wherein lies our comfort, our peace, our most beneficial activity and relationships. Within 'enough' lies our wholeness, our wellness, and joy. This is power.
Be well,
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coming Developments

As we develop this blog site, it should become easier to respond and comment. There is a lot to doing this and even more, for someone who is not technically oriented.
Soon, we hope to be adding a few appropriate and interesting ads that will hopefully interest this readership and thus support the continuation of this blog.
Clicking on an ad does not commit anyone to anything, it simply provides one with more in-depth information and opportunity to shop, to dream, to research and to wander about in virtual space.
It is our hope that the ads will be related to nature, natural living, natural health and wellness, animal welfare, small business, publishing, music, education, magick, movies, books, and other assorted gentle pursuits.
I am learning as I go along here, and have found that whatever ads eventually appear here, I will not be allowed to click on myself due to some perceived conflict of interest, so I will not necessarily be able to judge the appropriateness of any particular ad. I will rely on you, my readers, to keep me informed.
Be well.
V.